Buy to Let
Our dedicated team of property and Buy to Let solicitors are here to guide you through the Buy to Let process. We will assign your case to an experienced member of staff whom you will be able to contact by email, direct dial or by coming into the office.
What can Clapham & Collinge offer Buy to Let Investors?
- Conveyancing Services
- Tenancy Agreement Advice
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) Advice
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Company Formation
Investing with another?
When purchasing a buy to let property with another person, be it your husband or wife, friend, relative or an investor, it is of paramount importance to ensure that the right advice is obtained regarding the structure of ownership of the property. Here are just a couple of the issues upon which we can advise:
- We can offer advice on whether to own a property as Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common and implement that decision.
- Declaration of Trust – It is important that the intention and level of financial investment from each party is recorded. This will preserve exactly what is intended and acts as an important safeguard in securing everyone's interest.
- Wills and Estate Planning – After all of the careful planning throughout the purchasing and letting of a property, it is easy to put off the 'what-ifs' and to postpone protecting and preserving your new asset. Creating a new, bespoke Will helps to ensure that your estate is safeguarded and that your beneficiaries are provided for. Naturally, organising your estate and minimizing the burden of Inheritance Tax is equally as important.
There are certain things in life that are worth investing in. Conveyancing is certainly one of them. For many, buying a house is the most expensive purchase that you will make, so ensuring that the property is a legally sound investment is paramount. At Clapham and Collinge, we offer a service which goes beyond run-of-the-mill conveyancing. If you want to ensure that your buy to let property is a success, acquiring the property in a timely fashion and with minimal stress is a sure-fire way to kick start the venture.
A well drafted and comprehensive tenancy agreement will help to ensure that problems and disputes do not arise. Each party must have their rights, obligations and duties clearly set out so that there is no doubt as who needs to do what and when.
Landlord and Tenant law is wide ranging and can appear rather nebulous at points. We can help you to make sense of your responsibilities and encapsulate your wishes into a bespoke tenancy agreement catering to your situation.
Many people fund a buy to let property by remortgaging a current property. This may be via an equity release or a straight forward mortgage. Our team of expert conveyancers can guide you through the process step by step.
Stamp Duty Land Tax
Stamp Duty is a major consideration when buying a property. However, from 1st April 2016 it became far more important due to the additional rate of 3% now payable on second residential properties. The new rules are extremely comprehensive and great care must be taken when planning the purchase of a buy to let property. Our experts can advise on the applicability of Stamp Duty and ensure that you are fully informed for that upcoming purchase.
Commercial Landlords and Tenants
In addition to our extensive Residential Property experts, Clapham & Collinge has an experienced Commercial Property Team. Whether you're granting a commercial lease, purchasing an office building or looking to develop land, Clapham & Collinge can guide you through commercial property transactions.
For those considering a buy to let property, there are many factors to consider, we have listed a few of the main points that we feel should not be overlooked in our Top tips for new landlords article.
Whatever the nature of the transaction, we're here to help. To find out more or discuss your individual requirements in further detail, our dedicated solicitors will be delighted to help.