Family Law Briefing | North Walsham
At this free-to-attend legal briefing, Clapham & Collinge’s Family Team will share with you their thoughts on how everything has changed. Yet how little some of the law has changed and is now out of date.
Harold Wilson once said "a week is a long time in politics" and that was before Brexit! But it has been over 45 years since the Matrimonial Causes Act which still is the legislation under which divorces take place. And over 40 years since the Inheritance (Provision For Family and Dependants) Act which still contains the rules surrounding claims being made against someone's estate after their death. The world we live in has changed so much during this time but the law has failed to keep pace. One of the changes Clapham & Collinge are introducing is how they will be dealing with contentious probate and Inheritance Act claims within the Family Team. Increasingly the courts are treating litigation between families after death as family proceedings rather than the traditional view of it being civil litigation as the issues are very similar as well as the skills needed to deal with them.
Clapham & Collinge are going to be ready for the next 40 years and we want to make sure you are too!
Aspects covered will be:
- 1973 Matrimonial Causes Act - how divorce law has developed (or not!)
- 1975 Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act – how does this apply in our changed society
- 1989 Children Act – how has this adapted to new responsibilities of parents and the ending of old stereotypes
- Claims against estates after death and contested probate disputes
- The development of same sex relationships and marriage
- Unmarried couples – the new "normal" but no rights
- What does the future hold…
To book your place or for more information, please contact Andrea Smith on:
01603 693575 | ASmith@clapham-collinge.co.uk