Frequently Asked Questions - Personal Injury Claims Abroad

Frequently Asked Questions - Personal Injury Claims Abroad

Many of us intend to take a much-needed holiday in the near future. In our top 5 frequently asked questions we look at the process for making a claim for a personal injury suffered abroad and how a solicitor can help you make a claim.

How can a solicitor help you make a claim if you've been injured or are ill abroad?

A solicitor can give you guidance on how to return home, where you can pursue a claim, the procedures involved, the likely cost and any time limits that may apply. Obtaining legal advice as soon as possible will ensure that you or your loved one can focus on recovery.

Does the claim have to be made in the country in which it occurred, or can it be made in England and Wales?

If you booked a package holiday, you may have protection under the Package Travel Regulations and may be able to bring your claim in the UK. If you are travelling as an independent traveller, any claims you make may need to be made in the country where the accident occurred.

What are the most common issues when making a claim abroad?

Foreign legal systems can be difficult to navigate especially at such a distressing time. It is also important to document the incident thoroughly by taking photographs and keeping medical records and receipts.

Are there any time limits on making a personal injury claim abroad?

Time limits for bringing a claim can vary from country to country, and so it is important to instruct a solicitor as soon as possible after the accident or injury has occurred.

Will Brexit have an impact on the process of making a claim abroad?

The impact of Brexit is still to be determined as the UK and EU member countries continue to negotiate the precise terms of a deal. Your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) remains valid, and will be replaced by a UK Global Health Insurance Card, and will allow access to healthcare at reduced prices. You should take out insurance before you travel, and in the event of an injury suffered abroad, keep details of any expense incurred.

For more information on Clapham & Collinge's Personal Injury services please see our dedicated Personal Injury webpage.

If you have suffered a personal injury abroad and you wish to find out more, contact our Client Relations Team today on 01603 693500 or email us using the 'Make an enquiry' form.

We can carry out telephone or video appointments, reducing the need for face-to-face meetings in accordance with social distancing guidelines. Face-to-face meetings are available by appointment only at our Norwich, North Walsham, and Sheringham offices.

Related services

Who is this service for?

  • For individuals seeking legal advice regarding an injury due to the actions of someone else.

Which branches?

Services are available at:

  • Norwich
  • North Walsham
  • Sheringham

Our experts