Making a Will
Everyone should consider whether or not they need a will and then aim to review it at least every five years to see if it needs updating to reflect any changes in their personal or financial circumstances.
We pride ourselves on providing Wills that give you complete peace of mind and legal assurance that your wishes will be carried out once you are gone so you know your family will be taken care of.
Having a Will allows you to decide what happens to your property and possessions. It puts you in control. If you die without a Will your estate will be distributed in accordance with the Intestacy Rules. These rules are old fashioned and can lead to disappointment and injustice.
Did you know?
- If you die without a Will your husband, wife or civil partner may not automatically inherit everything; they may have to share your estate with other relatives such as your children.
- If you are not married or in a civil partnership your partner is not automatically entitled to anything.
- If you separate from your spouse, they will stand to receive at least a proportion of your estate if you die before your divorce is fully finalised.
- Marriage or entering a civil partnership will revoke your Will.
You will need to have capacity to make or change an existing Will. If you have dementia you may still be able to make a new Will or change your Will, but you should speak to your GP to check you do have capacity.
Wills using Trusts
Wills can be drafted to include trusts which can provide different levels of protection in a range of circumstances. For example:
- Protecting the inheritance of children from a previous relationship.
- Protecting the inheritance of disabled or vulnerable beneficiaries.
- Reducing the amount of tax paid out of your estate.
- Allowing couples to plan for the payment of future care fees, introducing a level of protection to legitimately reduce the amount you may need to spend on long term care.
If you are looking for Will Writing services in Norwich, Sheringham and North Walsham, we encourage you to get in touch with us today. Contact us today on