Clinical Negligence Claims Continue to Rise

Clinical Negligence Claims Continue to Rise

NHS Resolution, the body that deals with clinical negligence claims on behalf of the NHS, recently released a report confirming that both the number and cost of clinical negligence claims continue to increase.

In the 2019/20 financial year, claimants made 11,682 new claims, an increase of 9.3% from 2018/19. Although total payments reduced slightly by 1.5% to around £2.3bn (excluding claims made against general practitioners) by reference to 2018/19, NHS Resolution increased the provision for liabilities for clinical negligence claims to £84.1bn.

NHS Resolution settled 15,550 claims in 2019/20; 71.5% without Court proceedings having been issued, and of the remaining 28.5% where claimants issued Court proceedings, only 0.6% of claims went to trial. This suggests a greater use of mediation and alternative dispute resolution, and at an earlier stage of disputes.

Claims relating to maternity care remain the highest value area, representing 72% of the total provision for clinical negligence claims.

We can expect the number of clinical negligence claims to rise in the coming years, as more patients become aware that they are able to make a claim when they suffer personal injury and financial loss as a result of sub-standard care, and as the financial effects of the Covid-19 pandemic become more evident.

Clinical negligence claims are frequently complex, and it is important that anyone considering such a claim seeks advice at the earliest opportunity. For more information on how to make a claim, click here. Alternatively, our Client Relations Team will be delighted to help and can arrange an appointment with one of our specialists.

Contact us on 01603 693500 or email us using our 'Make an enquiry' form on our website. Appointments are available at our Norwich, North Walsham and Sheringham offices.

*This article is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or other professional advice.