​Do you need to regain possession of your rented property?

​Do you need to regain possession of your rented property?

There are many reasons why a landlord may wish to regain possession of a property. Whether a Landlord wishes to sell the property, a tenant has failed to pay their rent, or a tenant has breached the terms of the tenancy agreement, many landlords at some point require possession of their rented property.

Often, this is not a straightforward and simple process, and various procedural steps need to be complied with before contemplating serving a notice on a tenant to vacate the property. The introduction of landlord legislation in the past few years has caused shift in the balance of powers and rights tenants have in respect to their tenancy. These have resulted in various hoops that landlords must jump through on the outset of the tenancy, which become vital when it comes to evicting tenants and regaining possession of the properties.

Landlords must ensure they have complied with that legislation in order to regain possession, for example, providing a Howe to Rent Guide, Gas Safety Certificate and Deposit Prescribed Information.

In addition, further legislation will come into force in the next few years, which will place an even greater burden on landlords renting properties, which is likely to strengthen a tenant's position still further.

We are able to assist you in making sure that the preliminary steps have all been completed, and assist you on your route to regaining possession of your property. In doing so, we are able to offer and agree a step by step fee structure so that you are completely aware of the process throughout, and the likely costs involved at each stage.

If you have a legal query and would like to discuss your individual circumstances in further detail, contact us today on 01603 693500 or email us using the 'Make an enquiry' form. Appointments available at our Norwich, North Walsham and Sheringham offices.

*This article is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or other professional advice.