Landlord and tenant law update: Important Changes from 1st October 2018

Landlord and tenant law update: Important Changes from 1st October 2018

Regaining possession of a property as a landlord is not always a quick and simple task as various steps are required in order to validly serve notice on a tenant to vacate. As of the 1st October 2018, a further shift is taking place in the balance of powers and the rights that tenants have over their tenanted property.

Previously, only new tenancies starting on or after the 1st October 2015 had to adhere to provisions under the Housing Act 1988 as to when and how a landlord can serve a Section 21 notice. However, from the 1st October 2018, all tenancies will be subject to these provisions no matter what the start date. Therefore, a greater number of landlords need to be aware of their obligations and requirements under the Housing Act 1988.

From the 1st October 2018, all landlords wishing to serve tenants with an eviction notice under Section 21 must issue a How to Rent Guide, provide the Energy Performance Certificate, give tenants prescribed information regarding their deposits and, where necessary, provide copies of any licenses required.

We are able to assist you in making sure that the preliminary steps have all been completed, and assist you on your route to regaining possession of your property. In doing so, we are able to offer and agree a step by step fee structure so that you are completely aware of the process throughout, and the likely costs involved at each stage.

Clapham & Collinge Solicitors provide expert advice on all Landlord and Tenant work including lease negotiations, assignments and surrenders.

If you have a legal query and would like to discuss your individual circumstances in further detail, contact us today on 01603 693500 or email us using the 'Make an enquiry' form. Appointments available at our Norwich, North Walsham and Sheringham offices.

*This article is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or other professional advice.